© 2003 VNN
June 8, 2003 VNN8119 Related VNN Stories
Iskcon Chapter 11 Claims Deadline
BY GUPTA DASA
USA, Jun 8 (VNN) If you attended an ISKCON Gurukula and you were abused or otherwise injured you are eligible to make a claim for compensation in the Chapter 11 Reorganization case now pending in U.S. Bankruptcy Court. The court forms and instructions are available here.
The Chapter 11 proceedings are a fair, orderly and cost effective way to determine legitimate claims, to resolve the Texas state case filed by former Gurukulis and to resolve the claims of many other former Gurukulis who did not sue ISKCON. This orderly legal process will avoid expensive and time consuming litigation which might otherwise potentially lead to the close of many Hare Krishna Temples and deprive many innocent persons of a place to worship. Also, it would be unfair to those Gurukulis who chose not to sue ISKCON to only compensate those Gurukulis who did sue ISKCON. The Chapter 11 proceedings will determine and resolve all Gurukuli claims.
Should you fail to timely file a claim with the Bankruptcy Court, any claim you have may be disallowed and you may be forever barred from receiving any distribution. Your forms must be RECEIVED (not just mailed) by both the California and West Virginia courts on or before June 30, 2003. Any claims which are received after June 30, 2003 will be disallowed.
The mechanics of filing a claim are explained in the downloadable PDF files on the website listed above. Here is a step-by-step explanation:
1. Completely fill out BOTH the California court form and the West Virginia court form as best you can. Be sure that you sign and date the form and also be sure to legibly print an accurate return address.
2. Then make three (3) copies of EACH completed form, for a total of six (6) copies altogether.
3. Now get six (6) envelopes with adequate first class postage on each one. On two (2) envelopes print your own name and return address. On the third envelope print the name and address of the California Court. On the fourth envelope print the name and address of the West Virginia Court. On the fifth envelope print the name and address of the bankruptcy lawyers for ISKCON in California. On the sixth envelope print the name and address of the bankruptcy lawyers for ISKCON in West Virginia. These names and addresses are listed at the bottom of this page.
4. Mail the original signed California court form along with one (1) copy of that form and a folded self addressed stamped return envelope to the California Court. When the California Court receives your form, a clerk will file the original form, stamp the copy and then return the stamped copy to you using your enclosed self addressed stamped return envelope. This returned and court stamped form is your proof that you timely filed a claim in the California Court.
5. Mail the original signed West Virginia court form along with one (1) copy of that form and a folded self addressed stamped return envelope to the West Virginia Court. When the West Virginia Court receives your form, a clerk will file the original form, stamp the copy and then return the stamped copy to you using your enclosed self addressed stamped return envelope. This returned and court stamped form is your proof that you timely filed a claim in the West Virginia Court.
6. Mail one (1) copy of the California court form to the bankruptcy lawyers for ISKCON in California.
7. Mail one (1) copy of the West Virginia court form to the bankruptcy lawyers for ISKCON in West Virginia.
8. Retain the one remaining copy of the California form and the one remaining copy of the West Virginia form for your files.
Do the best you can to fill out the claims forms. Be sure that your correct name and return mailing address are listed. Again, these forms must be RECEIVED (not just mailed) by the Courts by JUNE 30, 2003. You must file these forms with both courts and the lawyers, as explained above, even if you only attended one Gurukula.
If you prefer, you may use a delivery service (like Federal Express or Express Mail) which provides proof of delivery. If you use Certified Mail with Return Receipt (which also provides proof of delivery) be sure that you mail early enough so that the forms are RECEIVED by JUNE 30, 2003.
Here are the addresses to use for the envelopes:
For the California Court:
U.S. Bankruptcy Court
San Fernando Valley Division
21041 Burbank Blvd.
Woodland Hills, CA 91367
For the West Virginia Court:
Northern District of West Virginia
P.O. Box 70
1125 Chaplin, Room 314
12 th & Chaplin St.
Wheeling, WV 26003-0070
For the ISKCON California lawyers:
Robinson, Diamant & Wolkowitz APC
1888 Century Park East, Suite 1500
Los Angeles, CA 90067
For the ISKCON West Virginia lawyers:
Arch W. Riley, Jr., Esq.
Bailey, Riley Buch & Harman, L.C.
53-14 St., Riley Building, Suite 900
Wheeling, West Virginia 26003
Should you have any questions or need help with how to fill out the forms, please be sure to visit http://www.harekrishnaclaims.com and review the updates.
Related VNN StoriesContact VNN about this storySend this story to a friendThis story URL: http://www.vnn.org/world/WD0306/WD08-8119.html
NEWS DESK | WORLD | TOP
Surf the Web on