07/31/98 - 1943
Are There Other Ideas?
USA (VNN) - A Response to: "Is Rittvik the only Alternative?"
by Gadadhar Dasa.
Please accept my humble obeisances, all glories to Srila Prabhupada, and Hare Krishna. In regard to the article "Is Rittvik the only Alternative?" I would like to respond to the following points made by Ramacandra Prabhu:
(1) Ramacandra Prabhu says: There are other ideas out there however and I cringe at the thought of the rittvik proponents being wrong yet taking over the reigns of ISKCON in lieu of a viable alternative.
This is a confusing and contradictory sentence. First Ramacandra Prabhu says "there are other ideas" and then in the same sentence he says "lack of a viable alternative".
Does Ramacandra Prabhu understand that he him self is admitting that there are no viable alternatives to the Rittvik System. What are the other ideas? Please be specific and express your self.
(2) Ramacandra Prabhu says: We also know that during Srila Prabhupada's manifestation he had implemented a waiting period wherein the perspective disciple could study further His Divine Grace and vice versa, His Divine Grace could size up the prospect to ensure a certain level of sincerity and dedication. Now I am not saying that Srila Prabhupada is dead or that he does not know personally the heart of all living entities, however, under the rittvik system he is not given a choice.
First, waiting period will continue under the Rittvik System, new bhaktas will be given ample time to study Srila Prabhupada's books, associate with the devotees, live in the Temple and practice and taste the devotional life.
Second, during his manifest present Srila Prabhupada was already using the Rittvik System. Even before the July 9th letter, Srila Prabhupada had delegated the responsibility to Temple Presidents to make the judgment call and make the recommendation as to who should get initiated. Under the Rittvik System this will also remain same.
Third, so it is wrong for Ramacandra Prabhu to claim that the Rittvik System is taking away the chance from Srila Prabhupada to size up a devotee because Srila Prabhupada had already delegated that function to the Temple Presidents and he was giving initiation without seeing or speaking with the new bhaktas.
Fourth, in July 9th letter, Srila Prabhupada delegated his own function of accepting or rejecting the recommendation made by the Temple President to the 11 Rittviks he appointed on that day.
Fifth, so it is not a question that the Rittvik System is forcing Srila Prabhupada into accepting disciples he does not want. But it is a question whether we are following or not following the system he set up and used, and as made clear in his WILL of June 4, and Rittvik Appointment letter of July 9. That is the central question.
(3) Ramacandra Prabhu says: Technically speaking, when that rittvik has done his job he could move on to another part of the world and never make contact with that new initiate again. At the same time His Divine Grace has just taken on another living entity's sinful reactions.
Factually speaking, under the present system, so many unqualified sudras are being promoted as Gurus who in turn are initiating many lazies, crazies, and bums to promote their status as big Gurus or big preachers.
About the current "Guru Rubber Stamping Factory" Srila Prabhupada said "you can cheat but it will not be effective". So many Gurus have fallen down this year alone. So appointing more kanisthas or sudras as Gurus is definitely not the answer. This fly by night, trial and error glow-worm Gurus have destroyed once flourishing ISKCON and lives of many men, women, and children.
So let us follow the Rittvik System that Srila Prabhupada wanted instead of concocting some thing new.
(4) Ramacandra Prabhu says: Has His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada not passed on the torch? Is there no other torchbearer to come?
Let us follow what Srila Prabhupada asked us to follow in his WILL and the July 9th letter, both of which were sent to every temple in the world. Let us not concoct some thing new.
(5) Ramacandra Prabhu says: I know Srila Prabhupada is a pure devotee, that he serves eternally at the Lords Lotus Feet, and that he is completely free and clear to do as he chooses. The question is are we giving him the choice under the proposed rittvik system?
As explained above, we have to follow what he asked us to follow, and not concoct some thing different. Not following the Rittvik System is rebellion against Srila Prabhupada. The current GBCs and Gurus are the ones who have defied the letter and spirit of instruction given by Srila Prabhupada in his WILL of June 4 and the July 9th letter.
(6) Ramacandra Prabhu says: Let us put all initiations on hold and every one cooperate and do full scale distribution.
This is only one idea presented by Ramacandra Prabhu. To that end let us do the following:
(a) Srila Prabhupada's WILL and July 9th letter must be displayed in each temple.
(b) A set of Conversation Books must be available in each temple for any one to read.
(c) Srila Prabhupada's letters must be available in each temple for any one to read.
(d) No one can be kicked out, banned, or threatened for his/her views on the Guru issue.
(e) a regular once a week debate on Guru issue be allowed in every temple. Leaders of both parties have to participate in these debates.
(f) put all initiations on hold and let us do full scale book distribution.
If open forum is provided by GBC for discussing all issues then Rittviks will not even ask for any positions. Let us try this for 6 months and then decide where to go from there.
Thank you and Hare Krishna.
Your friend and humble servant,
NEWS DESK | WORLD | TOP